Pages

Friday 21 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey WK1 Day 5 Activity 2

Activity 2: Living on the Edge [4 points]
While it can get quite cold in New Zealand, it rarely drops below freezing (00C). Most of the time the temperature in New Zealand is pretty mild. This is not the case in the tundra. The tundra is an area of land (biome) that is cold, dry and completely treeless. Did you know that the average temperature in the tundra is -280C?
Over the past few years, however, the temperature in the tundra has been rising and the weather has been changing. Let’s imagine that your teacher decides to take you on a class trip to the tundra before the weather changes too much and you aren’t able to go.
On your blog, write a letter to your best friend or a family member telling them about your trip to the tundra. To earn full points your letter must have a greeting (eg. Dear…) followed by 5 – 6 sentences of information about what your experience.

Dear Mum and Dad,
We're in Tundra now. I can't really describe the weather right now, it's humid and there are hardly any trees around! We've been given a worksheet and we got to figure how many of each thing we see, for example; Trees, but do we see any? Nope.
At the moment I can see 3 thousand rocks, 1 tree, huge lumps of clouds in the sky and a.....? Reindeer, A REINDEER! Well, that seems to get us into the Christmas spirit?
We're staying in this smelly, old shack but the only cool thing about it is that it is lined with bunk beds!
We're coming home today and I am so happy that we're coming back to New Zealand. When I get home, I'm going straight to the shower!
See you soon!

-Patience

7 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Patience,

    I really love this letter. It sounds action-packed, and your Mum and Dad would really be filled in on the news.
    I can almost picture being right there!
    I like how you've picked up that there will be no trees around. Interesting that it is humid, I'm glad it's not freezing all the time!
    Have you ever been anywhere similar to the tundra? I've been to the desert road near Mt Ruapehu. I don't think it's as cold there but it reminds me of the tundra.
    Nice Christmas insert too, Patience. Love your work!
    - Have a fantastic Christmas
    Lee


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Nice job wit all your work!
    Maybe you could add some pictures or photos to make your post stand out and attract more viewers.
    Please comment on my blog at
    https://wpssamuelh.blogspot.com/
    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patience,
    Like to see you're keeping up with your blogging. I really like the way you said "A REINDEER! Well, that seems to get us into the Christmas spirit?" What made the shack smell? Why are you happy leaving Tundra? Besides that you are doing a marvelous job!

    Best Wishes
    From
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia-ora,
    My name is Zephaniah and I am a part of doing the SLJ. It is great to see you completing as much of the activities provided on the site. Tino pai! It is great to see your amazing letter about the tundra. Especially to your mother and father. Have they seen the letter yet? Keep up the amazing work!

    Nga mihi,
    -Zephaniah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malo E Lelei Patience,

    It's Mele again from Panmure Bridge School. I enjoyed reading about this activity. Most of all your letter to your parents were great. I love the descriptive and strong words that you used for you letter. I think that your parents would love to see you at the Tundra. Did you enjoy this task?

    NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia Ora Patience,
    I really like how you have said Reindeer and you are doing awesome. I also really love that you have adjectives before nouns. Keep up the outstanding work:)

    Cheer,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patience...great to see you blogging on the SLJ. There's still some time to complete the activities before school begins - how many more can you get done? Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete