Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer learning Journey 2017-2018 Day 1 Activity 1

Day 1: Arriving in New Zealand…

Activity 1: The First Settlers
On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?


Facts about Maui


1:
Maui was given a fishhook from Murirangawhenua (Grandmother).

2:
Maui's brothers would always make excuses for Maui not to come fishing with them them.

3:
Maui caught a great big fish, and thought it might of been the fish Murirangawhenua was talking about. This fish became the North Island of New Zealand and the Waka became the South Island of New Zealand. 


Other stories I have heard and short summary


How Maui slowed the sun:
Days where too short because the sun was very fast across the sky, so Maui told his four
brothers and they lassoed the sun to weaken it and make it go slower.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Patience, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. I look forward to blogging with you this summer.

    Well done on making a great start to completing your activities. I like the three facts you have chosen to include about Maui and the giant fish. I especially like the fact about the North Island as the fish, because when you look at a map of the North Island - it actually looks like a fish!

    Have you done much fishing?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billy,
      Thanks for commenting on my blog.

      I don't often go fishing. My Family and I only go on special occasions, Like my birthday or Christmas.

      Delete
    2. Hi, yeah I don't go too often. I get frustrated and give up quickly! I certainly haven't caught any fish as big as the North Island.
      What's the biggest fish you have caught?

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete
    3. I haven't caught any fish.

      Delete
  2. Hi Patience,

    Its fantastic to see you participating in the summer learning journey, you found some very interesting facts about Maui.I also enjoyed how you added information about Maui and the sun it was very entertaining.

    Keep up the fantastic work!

    Katelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Patience,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Thanks for sharing these three interesting facts about Maui! It sounds like Maui's Grandmother was a big influence in his life. She sounds like she was a very wise woman because she predicted it correctly - he did become a great fisherman!

    I have also heard of Maui and the Sun. I think Maui would have had to be a very strong person to be able to catch the giant fish and also slow down the Sun. What kind of person do you think Maui is?

    It is great to see you have made a start to the Summer Learning Journey! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Maui is an independent person because. When he wants something done he doesn't wait he just gets on with it, and does it himself.

      Delete
  4. Hi Patience,
    My name is Christopher
    I really like your interesting facts about Maui the one I like the most is how Maui caught a fish as big as the North Island.
    Well done Patience keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete